Re: [Tsv-art] Tsvart last call review of draft-ietf-opsec-ipv6-eh-filtering-06

On 11/25/2018 2:11 PM, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> Christian Huitema wrote on 25/11/2018 20:40:
>> Nick made that point, probably unintentionally, when he wrote that
>> "transit operators would generally take the view that any data-plane
>> packet which needs to be put through a slow path will be rate limited
>> up to 100% loss". Last I checked, data plane processing is
>> implemented in specialized components that are designed for speed.
>
> I was talking specifically about dfz transit routers, not edge devices
> or firewalls. There are exceptions to fast-path processing where
> data-plane packets are punted to management plane CPUs for generalised
> processing rather than being forwarded by the ASIC / NPU due to
> hardware inability to process the packets correctly (e.g. gigantic EH
> chains), or by protocol specification (e.g. hbh).  What I said
> previously referred to control plane rate limiting of these types of
> data plane packets.

I understand the limitation. My point is simply that a DFZ router with
such limitations has little business implementing filtering by payload
type. It is more likely to generate trouble tickets because
communication broke rather than praise because some unwanted traffic was
filtered in transit, rather than at ingress or egress.

-- Christian Huitema