Re: [IAB] IAB report to the community for IETF 103

On 11/20/18 7:44 PM, Lloyd Wood wrote:

That belongs in the to be written RFC "ETSI extensions to TLS considered harmful".
Of course, we may debate whether we want to publish such RFC.

Perhaps a more general 'Security protocols designed by any other
organisations considered harmful' is the way to go.

I doubt that such a direction would enhance our reputation or that of our documents.   I'd much rather see us make specific technical arguments, e.g.

- If an IETF RFC cites TLS x.y, that citation only applies to TLS x.y as published by IETF, not some other *TLS published by some other organization.   Just because something else is named *TLS doesn't mean it's secure or an acceptable substitute, especially when some of them have deliberately been made in such a way as to compromise the users' security.

- If one party to a connection discloses the information in the connection to a third party, whether by choice or to meet some organizational or legal requirement, that's their business and IETF isn't questioning that.  But intercepting the traffic at the IP layer is not a good way to implement such disclosures for several reasons - e.g. it effectively constrains the applications to only work over particular network segments, which harms the flexibility of the Internet as a general-purpose communications fabric; it discourages transparency and accountability that such record-keeping should require; etc.   (It's not the record-keeping that's being questioned; it's the very notion that packet interception is a suitable way to accomplish that.   Packet interception is a poor architectural choice, and yes that includes deep-inspecting firewalls and monitors.)

- For similar transparency arguments a communications protocol that is designed to effectively appear as TLS to the endpoints and/or its users, but which lacks the end-to-end confidentiality properties of TLS, should be discouraged by every means available.

- The introduction of TLS variants that are designed to leak private information seems likely to introduce yet another destructive tussle, as privacy-conscious users try to determine whether their hosts and applications are leaking their information, while the spooks try to evade such detection.   (Yes I'm aware that some such proposals provide explicit information to their endpoints.)

etc.

Keith