Re: The Friday Experiment

> On 11 Nov 2018, at 20:41, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> Job Snijders <job@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Making the Friday optional (like at IETF103) increases the chances of
>> people getting home for a full weekend of downtime..
>
>> I see no risk of “the Thursday becoming the new Friday”, to me the
>> slippery slope argument makes no sense without supporting data.
>
> +1
>
> Friday meetings can be effective if groups decide well enough ahead of time
> that they want to do so, and need 3-4+ hours of meeting time.

Groups don’t decide anything. If 1-2 key contributors decide that since nothing is happening at the IETF on Friday they’re going home, then you can’t do it on Friday.  If they had stayed at home they might join remotely (assuming that was available) but since they are traveling, they just can’t participate.

I think this experiment has failed. I suppose it’s possible that given 1-2 more times the community will manage to make it work, but if it’s repeated in 104, I just don’t see the point of planning to stay on Friday.  At least not for doing work.

Yoav