Re: Jabber [Was: Plenary questions]

On 2018-11-10 23:55, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
On 2018-11-11 09:56, S Moonesamy wrote:
Hi Dave, At 10:44 AM 09-11-2018, Dave Cridland wrote:
I suspect that had less to do with mailing lists in general, and
much to do with the IETF mailing lists in particular. DMARC itself
  was a clear attempt to side-step the standards process, and a
successful one at that. It's mirrored by other activities, like
WHAT-WG. This again is an overt move by dominant providers to
cement their control over the standards. And yes, I'm well aware
that is not what it says on the WHAT-WG website - but it is,
however, literally what the Steering Group is there to enforce.

I visited the web site.  From what I understand, the working group
defines the standards for the web.  That shouldn't be a problem as
the IETF is currently not doing any related work.

That isn't completely true, unfortunately. There was an overlap
with certain aspects of RFC 6874, specifically
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6874#section-3, and with the
objection to RFC 6874 raised by the designer of CUPS:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=6874&eid=3632

I'm not trying to re-litigate that issue, but just want to show
that SDOs such as IETF and W3C, and very ad hoc SDOs such as WHAT-WG,
may in fact collide over unexpected little things.

     Brian

Yes indeed. URIs, for instance.

Best regards, Julian