Re: The Friday Experiment

On Nov 11, 2018, at 01:08, John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> fewer really active participants per WG

The tendency to spin up more WGs with a narrower focus leads us to have to go to more WG meetings.

When I started with IETF, I needed to go to, say, mmusic and avt, and everything else was cross-area review (and the odd RG).
Today there are about 10 must-go WGs for me and about that many that I would want to go to but often can’t (see my regular eclectic agenda).

mmusic and avt were “big” WGs until they were split up and spawned WGs like ice.  I haven’t followed that area of work too much recently, but in our community we already have a hard time avoiding to spend WG time on the subject of which of the many WGs to choose from some effort should go to.

(This is not a complaint, and it is not calling for immediate action; I just want to point out that the pendulum for some subject areas is on the side of fragmentation.  Of course there are also still the catch-all, gong show WGs like 6man.)

And yes, interims help us a lot to relieve the pressure on physical meetings; I seem to like the bi-weekly one-hour interims started by cbor.  But it is still extremely productive to have everyone convening in one physical space for a week.  And it is important to have space for new work in that time, too.

Grüße, Carsten