Re: IESG and IETF Chair report for IETF 103

Hi Mat,

On Nov 8, 2018, at 9:24 AM, Mat Ford <ford@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for the report Alissa,

You presented some numbers relating to attendance at this meeting during the plenary last night. Gathering more data sounds like a good plan. In addition to trying to understand why some people did not attend this meeting in person, will you also be trying to understand if there was an impact on getting work done and if so, how severe that impact was?

Yes. The IESG and IAB have a standing agenda item during our joint Friday wrap-up session to discuss meeting attendance and productivity <https://trac.ietf.org/trac/iesg/wiki/UpcomingIetf>. If you have observations about this, please share them with an AD or IAB member or send them to either body’s mailing list or to this list. The meeting survey also typically includes questions to help gather data about this.

Alissa

Meeting registration revenue is an important consideration. IMHO it needs to be balanced against other considerations like the 1-1-1-* meeting policy and our ability to get work done through the full range of participation mechanisms. I’d be much more concerned if selection of any specific meeting location had a serious and widespread impact on the work of the IETF than if there was only a reduction in meeting registration revenues.

Mat