Non-ASCII in documents (was Re: Genart last call review of draft-ietf-detnet-use-cases-18)

[speaking with my RSOC hat on]

On 10/4/18 1:02 PM, Pete Resnick wrote:
Throughout 3.1.1, 6.1.2, 7.3, 7.4: I presume "###us" is meant to be "###µs". I
believe I-Ds are now allowed to have such characters.

To be clear, I-Ds are currently prevented from being submitted with non-ASCII characters -- at least, when submitted using the normal mechanisms. This will be changed in the fairly near future to allow such characters, in anticipation of the upcoming transition to the new RFC format.

However, there will be no additional RFCs published with non-ASCII characters until the new format tools are put into production. This was announced in September of last year, after an experiment was run to test the RFC Production Center's tool suite as it pertains to handling non-ASCII characters:

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf/jic8bRvwu8cJB0EgFtoHVQq14TM

For more information, see the RFC Format Change FAQ at https://www.rfc-editor.org/rse/format-faq/

/a