Re: [Iasa20] Last Call: <draft-ietf-iasa2-trust-update-00.txt> (Update to the Selection of Trustees for the IETF Trust) to Best Current Practice

>OLD
>The terms of the appointed trustees from IETF NomCom shall be three years.  The initial selection shall be one, two, and three year terms in order to
>initially stagger the terms and thus miminize potential annual Trustee turnover.  The other appointments by the IESG and the ISOC Board of Trustees
>shall be two year terms, with the initial terms being one and two years, respectively.
>
>NEW
>The terms of the appointed trustees from IETF NomCom shall be three years.  The initial selection shall be one, two, and three year terms in order to
>initially stagger the terms and thus miminize potential annual Trustee turnover.  The other appointments by the IESG and the ISOC Board of Trustees
>shall be two year terms, with the initial terms being one and two years, respectively. The term lengths of initial appointees should be measured from
>the First IETF of the year in which they are seated even if they are appointed after the First IETF of the year.

This seems overspecified, and I'd rather leave the language alone.

I presume the goal is that the nomcom shouldn't have to replace all
three of its people at the same time, which the old text handles.  The
two year terms of the nomcom and ISOC are already deliberately out of
sync with the nomcom.  Theoretically if the nomcom and ISOC both
decide to pick someone new the same year there might be two new
people, and possibly one new from nomcom if they don't reappoint an
incumbent, but that doesn't seem to be all that likely nor a big
issue.  There will still be at least two continuing truetees and
almost certainly more.

In practice, people have often resigned from the IAOC mid-term when
their jobs change, so no matter what the rules say, we're going to
have trustees appointed at random times.

R's,
John