Seems a pretty severe limitation.

Yours,
Joel

On 2018-10-01 07:52, Randy Bush wrote:
christian,

a stunning review as usual.  but i have two questions which you kind of
finessed.  they are simple binary, i.e. yes/no, questions that the end
user, to whom the IETF is ultimately responsible, really cares about.

if the manufacturer's servers go down, either permanently or even for
a day, can i give/sell the device i have purchased to a third, well
fourth i guess, party, at my whim and seamlessly unencumbered?

There are two conditions for it to work as I understand:
1) The device ID is added to the list of devices acceptable to the
registrar in its new network.
AND
2) That registrar is able to contact the MASA.

Alternatively - see the previous point. If you had previously obtained
a voucher in advance, you could include it with the device. Just as
you might write the hard disk password on a yellow sticky when
selling a laptop in a garage sale.

     Brian