Re: nation state crypto profiles - draft-jenkins-cnsa-cmc-profile-00

On Fri, 28 Sep 2018, Russ Housley wrote:

That thread came to the conclusion that the IETF should not process profiles for any nations states.   In my opinion, there is value in making it easy for implementers to find such profiles.  So, if the Independent Stream Editor is willing to process such profiles, they can be published as RFCs, which would not consume any resources from the IETF leadership.

I do not agree the thread came to that conclusion. I see people
disagreed and stop the discussion, because everyone agreed the
draft in question to make Suite B historic was not disputed.

People outside the IETF do not understand the subtleties of different
IETF streams, and having an RFC is seen as a stamp of approval of
the international community. Therefore, I do indeed believe we should
not make the same mistake again.

The USG seems to be doing a fine job making FIPS publications available
without these being enshrined in RFCs.

I am against the IETF publishing CNSA or any other nation state
cryptography profiles.

Paul