Re: I-D Action: draft-klensin-iesg-rfc5742bis-01.txt

--On Monday, September 24, 2018 17:09 +1200 Brian E Carpenter
<brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I meant to reply to John Klensin's message about the -00
> draft, but failed to do so. So I think that this draft is
> correct in its analysis and proposals, based on quite a few
> years experience, not just on the recent appeal.
>
> As for the "the tradeoff between good sense and
> rule-following" that John mentioned: yes. We should always be
> able to adapt our rules when appropriate, since we made them.
> As long as the IESG consults the community, of course.

Brian,

Thanks.

As to your last comment, I strongly agree, but see how that is
done as another matter for discretion and good sense.  I expect
the IESG to weigh the gravity, scope, and precedent-setting of
any particular decision and match the way in which the community
is asked accordingly.  I think it would be a disaster if the
IESG concluded (or was forced) that it needed to run a four-week
Last Call on every decision. There are certainly topics on which
an announcement in an "anyone with a severe problem with this
should comment within a few days" note should be more than
sufficient.  If they get it wrong, we have and should be able to
utilize appeals, the Nomcom, and the recall process.

best,
   john