Re: Diversity and offensive terminology in RFCs

Just following up on Alissa's note ....

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 8:21 AM Alissa Cooper <alissa@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I wanted to send a friendly reminder to keep discussions on this list professional, respectful, and courteous, per RFC 3005 and RFC 7154.. The sergeants-at-arms are following up with individuals off-list as necessary.

Niels, I think there might be two further contributions from you that could be helpful in this discussion. If you have links to relevant research in this area, those might be useful to share. I’m not saying that in the sense that you bear a burden of proof, but really just encouraging you and others to share research results that may be directly relevant if you’re aware of them.

The other helpful item would be a clarification about what is being proposed. Are you interested in updating previously published RFCs, having authors use different terminology going forward, both, something else? Or were you just looking to spark discussion?

I suspect this helpful item is key to making progress with Alissa's first helpful item.

What I was hoping for, when the thread started, is someone publishing a list of "term X" that might be better rephrased as "term Y", with enough discussion to help draft authors know whether replacing X with Y in a draft was the right thing to do.

The discussion on the nuances of "MITM" in these threads has been a good example of the kind of thing I'd want to know, if I wanted to make my draft clearer, and I think "will this make our drafts clearer if we use this terminology?" might be one good criteria for including "term X"s in the list.

Other criteria could also be applied - I think Alissa's ask for pointers to research is a step toward other criteria.

I've actually received an HRPC review for a draft I was working on (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iab-marnew-report/, in the IAB stream), and found it useful,and made some changes based on the review, but I wasn't thinking that anyone on the IAB was going to say "you have to make all those changes to publish your draft in the IAB stream".

My third term on the IESG ends in March, but I'd be surprised if the current IESG or any future IESG made a demand like that for drafts in the IETF stream. We don't even do that with IETF review team reviews now - ADs look at comments, not who made the comments, and work to ensure that the right thing happens.

Do the right thing, of course.

Spencer