Re: Diversity and offensive terminology in RFCs

> On 20 Sep 2018, at 2:14 pm, Heather Flanagan <rse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I can only imagine the possible discussions between the editors and authors, given the heated debates now over ‘simple’ terms like that versus which.
>
> I’m glad the community is having this conversation, because any changes to the use of terms and language in an RFC must come from the community. I don’t think it can reasonably be imposed by the editors. Not unless we significantly change the relationship between the RFC Editor and the authors.

It obviously won't work as an adversarial relationship (e.g., the RFC editor "enforcing" a rule), and I don't think anyone has suggested that.

Is it reasonable to mention this as something to think about when you're authoring / reviewing a draft, and have a discussion as adults if someone thinks a term might have such an issue?

If not, why? Noticing potential issues and discussing their resolution seems pretty bread-and-butter around here IME.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/