Re: Diversity and offensive terminology in RFCs

On 9/20/18 1:48 PM, Michal Krsek wrote:
Hello,

I understand those words may be inappropriate in some contexts, but they are fine in other contexts.

Not touching the IT area, how we teach history?

Presently? In most of the World? By rewriting it. So let's not even go there and not use that as a gold standard.

I'd say - our master/slave act means something else than enslaving people, man-in-the-middle is a system not a male person, debugging means something else than disinfection and so on.

We do have our jargon for long time and I'm not sure if it is a clever idea to start building a Tower of Babel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_Babel .

+1. I propose we keep things as is.

They are not anywhere as offensive as some other IT terminology like for example using "grooming" to describe the process of evaluating current bugs and issues. And let's not even start on what routing means in some parts of the English speaking world.

A.

                    Michal