Re: [secdir] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-lisp-rfc6830bis-15

Kyle, Dino,

Thanks for the review and discussion -- I look forward to seeing where it
ends up.  Just one note, inline...

On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 02:40:15PM -0700, Dino Farinacci wrote:
> > Reviewer: Kyle Rose
> > Review result: Has Issues
>

> > Another question it poses is: how does the Map-Resolver authenticate the
> > Map-Server? Symmetric authentication with the ITR-OTK demonstrates only that
>
> We plane to add that in draft-farinacci-lisp-ecdsa-auth. Up until now it was the clients of the mapping system that first needed to be authenticated, but the map-servers can do the same. We plan to adding signing Map-Notify messages which is typically an Ack to a signed Map-Register sent by an xTR.
>
> > the response is associated with the request: it's not immediately clear to me
> > what security guarantees it provides to the ITR. Limiting attacks to on-path
> > attackers, yes. But what about MitM? That class of attacks requires either a
> > pre-shared key (implying a pre-existing trust relationship between a
>
> We do use pre-shared keys for registering to the mapping system. And you could encrypt messages in both directions using this shared-key. This shared-key was intended for authorization of a particulary (IID, EID) pair to the mapping system, but can be easily for encryption.

If the PSK does get additionally purposed for encryption, please make sure
to use a modern key derivation hierarchy to provide separation between the
authentication and encryption usages.

-Benjamin