Re: [103attendees] [EXTERNAL] Re: Visas for IETF 103 in Thailand

Hi Andrew,

To be sure, “Your mileage will vary”  pretty much sums it up.  It will
vary due to citizenship, it will vary due to residence, it will vary
based on who one works for, and it will vary based on the interaction at
the border. And worse, past experience is no predictor of future
behaviors.  Just because you were able to cross the border yesterday is
not dispositive of whether you'll be able to do so tomorrow.

How do we address this in our policies?  The recent mtgvenue document
contains the following statement:

>    o  Travel barriers to entry, including visa requirements, are likely
>       to be such that an overwhelming majority of participants who wish
>       to do so can attend.  The term "travel barriers" is to be read
>       broadly by the IASA in the context of whether a successful meeting
>       can be had.

How do we establish that likelihood?  I wonder if we could leverage that
process to inform people just a bit more.  Some of that could be
retrospective (with all the attendant hazards of things having changed),
perhaps from the experience of other organizations that are willing to
share.

And to that end, perhaps we should be sharing more, as well.

Anyway.  just some thoughts.

Eliot