Re: Visas for IETF 103 in Thailand

On 15 Aug 2018, at 8:50, Jared Mauch wrote:

Call the local embassy/consulate or visit their websites, this is the best guidance one can provide.

Heh. I called the Chicago consulate. This is as close as I can get to a verbatim transcript of my phone call:

Me: I am coming to Thailand for an Internet conference. What sort of visa do I need? I am a US citizen.
Consulate: Oh, for that, they are only giving Tourist visas.
Me: A tourist visa?
Consulate: Are you going to be making any money?
Me: No, I am not making money.
Consulate: Yes, then a tourist visa is fine. When you arrive, just tell them you are there for pleasure.
Me: Is that written down anywhere official?
Consulate: No.
Me: OK, thank you.

And on their website, it is crystal clear, in the other direction:

NON-IMMIGRANT VISA ( Maximum stay 90 days, extension of stay may be applied in Thailand )
Purpose of visit :
- To conduct business, attend conference, or to work (Category “B”)

I always do find meeting with the lot of you “pleasurable”, and I’m bringing along my scuba gear, so I can point to it if asked, so I guess I’m going to save the $80 and say that I am “here for pleasure”.

pr