Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-terminology-bis-11.txt> (DNS Terminology) to Best Current Practice

Viktor Dukhovni <ietf-dane@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Indeed in a non-public network, I'm free to provision a
> ".1" TLD, and even create hosts as sub-domains of this name:

This would break a (non-normative) promise in RFC 1123

                                   However, a valid host name can never
           have the dotted-decimal form #.#.#.#, since at least the
           highest-level component label will be alphabetic.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot@xxxxxxxx>  http://dotat.at/
North Utsire, South Utsire: Variable, becoming southerly 3 or 4, occasionally