Re: AD time

This is a great document, Spencer.   I don't remember it being on the reading list for ADs when I joined the IESG.   Is it now?

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 10:27 AM, Spencer Dawkins at IETF <spencerdawkins.ietf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi, Melinda,

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 1:43 AM Melinda Shore <melinda.shore@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What I'm not okay with is charging down this path, including
investigations, etc., when there's a universe of other ways to
address the problem that aren't being discussed.  I'm not sure
I've even seen a clear statement of "the problem."

I've actually been pointing people to https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3774#section-2 in discussions recently, and https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3774#section-2.6.2 seems especially relevant to this thread.

If one needed a description of "the problem", that would be a useful place to start. I'd assert that we have made changes in response to some of the problems included in that document ("Three Stage Standards Hierarchy not properly Utilized" is now a two-stage standards hierarchy, for better or worse), but a lot of the problems identified fifteen years ago sound really familiar to me now.

(Full disclosure - Melinda was one of the co-chairs of the working group that produced this document, and I was ACKed in https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3774#section-4)

Spencer