Re: AD Time

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 08:49:57AM +1200, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> On 31/07/2018 06:48, Ted Lemon wrote:
> > I don't see any point in the IETF paying just travel expenses: either you
> > have a sponsor or you don't.
>
> Not so simple. At least in the academic or publicly-funded research world,
> it may well happen that your employer is happy for you to spend some
> of your research *time* on standards-related work, but you don't have any
> research *money* for the associated expenses.
>
> It's quite different working for a business, where your time is measured
> and company rules may even forbid you to accept outside funding.

Except that it is a lot more likely that the employer will be fine with
outside engagements that have "(partially) expenses covered", given how
that is fairly common when you are a speaker at some event and therefore do not
have to pay registration fees or the like. Of course even that can be turned
into a torture chamber ceremony by corporate HR, Travel and Legal bureaucrats,
but at least its just waterboarding and not guillotine.

> In some cases, service to the technical community gets kudos in annual
> performance reviews. In other cases, it's considered a waste of time.
>
> One size absolutely does not fit all.

FlexAD ? ;-)

Toerless