Re: AD Time

Ted,

I was trying to stay out of this one, as I think the high-order bit
is in one of the things Adrian said: the IESG of the day need to be
the ones to self-organise. But I can't leave this bad idea go by;-)

On 25/07/18 17:44, Ted Lemon wrote:
> The thing is, AD is a job.

No. It's a role, temporarily filled by a few members of the
community of IETF participants.

All three of those aspects (role, temporary, community) are, for
me, hugely important to the IETF. One of the very few things more
important for the IETF and IESG is that ADs not take themselves too
seriously (which I actually do mean seriously:-)

>  Do we want the job to be done well, or not?

The AD role not being a job, no answer to that rhetorical question
is needed or relevant.

>  If we want it to be done well, why is it a volunteer position?

I'd be vehemently and indefatigably against professional, paid ADs.
I hope we don't even need to debate the many reasons to avoid such
sclerosis.

Cheers,
S.