RE: AD Time

It should be no surprise that I, too, have seen this debate before.

A very large part of the question hinges on what ADs actually spend their time on. How much of an AD-fortnight [1] is spent reviewing document and handling the backwash from those reviews. When on the IESG I found it (surprisingly?) hard to get the IESG to answer that question.

But Stephen Farrell raised this in two ways that might be helpful:

1. If we only had one AD for each Area, would that AD feel the need to commission additional reviews to make up for the missing second (or third) AD? If so, then let's do that anyway. If not, then why have all ADs reviewing all the documents? In fact, you could argue for releasing at least 5 ADs from all of their reviewing and follow-up tasks.

2. Cannot two ADs from the same Area not share the review load with a little discussion before reviewing starts? This might lead to a 65/65 split (rather than 50/50) and some further brief discussion, but surely it could be made to work. [Hint: some ADs have done this in the past.] This argues for releasing each AD from 35% of their reviewing and follow-up tasks.

It should be up to the IESG to self-organise! The only limits we should set are on what work we expect the IESG to get done. The constraint we should give NomCom are that we expect the work to get done, and that any restrictions on work-load should not negatively harm the work of an Area or the IESG as a whole. Thus, questions:

- to the candidates about how much work they can achieve and what

   they would 'sacrifice'

- to the continuing ADs about how much work they are achieving and

  what they need from a co-AD

- to the IESG as a whole about where the pinch-points are with current

  and projected work-loads, and so where resources are needed in the

  new appointments

- the community about what work appears to be falling by the way-side

  and what additional tasks need to be picked up.

Thanks (and thanking NomCom for the hard job they are embarking on)

Adrian

[1] This unit is chosen because the document review cycle in the IESG is currently based on a telechat that occurs every two weeks.