Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: IAOC report to community at IETF 102

Michael,

My [GD] attempts to answer are below

-glenn

On 7/18/18, 7:04 PM, "ietf on behalf of Michael Richardson" <ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx on behalf of mcr+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    (greetings from a campsite in Northern Ontario...)

    Andrew Sullivan <ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
        > in the IASA.  It appears that procedures were not always written down
        > as completely as one might like, and the apparent gaps have had to be
        > filled in from people's recollections.

    Could we have a list of the things that were filled in?
    Maybe the community will notice that the recollection was inaccurate?

[GD] At this point the new procedures are in place and it would be an extraordinary effort to attempt
[GD] go back create such a list.

        > is not available).  Accordingly, the IAOC closed the Tools Management
        > Committee.  At the same meeting, the IAOC closed the Sponsorship

    How will the tools work be supervised, and reported to the community?

[GD]
[GD] The Tools work and reporting continues as it was except there is no longer an IAOC subcommittee in
[GD] the middle.  See the Tools team page:  https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/tools/

        > https://iaoc.ietf.org/venue-selection.html.  An important part of that
        > has been the replacement of the former Meetings Committee with a new
        > Venue Review Committee.  The new committee is intended to be quite
        > limited in its scope, because its primary task is to evaluate staff
        > recommendations for conformance with the MTGVENUE criteria.  This is
        > not an algorithm, of course, so some judgement will be required.  But
        > the process is intended to be lightweight and transparent to the
        > community.  We're continuing to refine procedures for this, and you
        > should expect to see more announcements over time.

    Will the reviews be public?  In particular, will reasons for rejecting sites
    be public?  I don't think the previous evaluation was public, but maybe I
    just never looked in the right place.

[GD]
[GD] The new process that was just established based on MTGVENUE is documented in:   https://iaoc.ietf.org/venue-selection-roles-and-processes.html .
[GD]
[GD]
[GD] From section 3. Qualification
[GD]
[GD]        8. The IAOC updates the published list of candidate meeting cities, identifying which have been selected
[GD]            as qualified meeting cities and which are not. This is the list of meeting locations that the IAOC will select
[GD]             to hold IETF meetings at.
[GD]            Note: The public list only contains city level information and will not include information about venues.
[GD]
[GD] The list of rejected cites will be published, but it will not contain detailed information about the venue.
[GD]
[GD] However, for cities which are actually contracted to host a meeting, information will be published as per section 4 Negotiation....
[GD]
[GD] Section 4. Negotiation
[GD]
[GD]      5. The IAOC/IAD announce the chosen contracted venue. The announcement MUST include any notable
[GD]           economic, health, or safety risks or references thereto, as well as the venue's compliance with the
[GD]           meeting criteria.
[GD]
[GD]

[GD] -glenn