Re: Note Well & GitHub

On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 05:03:01PM -0400, Aaron Falk wrote:
> On 13 Jul 2018, at 16:54, Nico Williams wrote:
> >On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 04:48:31PM -0400, Aaron Falk wrote:
> >>Ah, & now that I know what to look for I see that the IASA2 project
> >>has a similar page, although with a different name:
> >>https://github.com/IASA2/Background-Note-Well.  I wonder if there
> >>should be some conventions about such things?
> >
> >I think a single NOTE-WELL or NOTE-WELL.{md,txt} file with the NOTE
> >WELL content should suffice.  Any README should mention the IETF use
> >and the NOTE WELL.
>
> I agree that would seem quite sensible.  And again, I'm new to the
> GitHub but I'd be inclined to also add some mention of the IETF in the
> top level name so it's clear it's an IETF context.

A heavier-duty thing to do would be to have the IETF own a GitHub org
and hand out per-WG and per-individual-submission repos.  Then the IETF
could make sure that each of those repos have: a) README and NOTE-WELL
files, b) a LICENSE file, c) authorizations for the relevant WG chairs
and document editors/authors.

The IETF could also mirror these to other git repo hosting sites as a
backup.

Now, that would take some tooling and so will cost something, but
eventually I think we'll want that.

Nico