Re: Appeal of IESG Conflict Review process and decision on draft-mavrogiannopoulos-pkcs8-validated-parameters-02

--On Saturday, July 7, 2018 20:10 -0800 Melinda Shore
<melinda.shore@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Right, and I don't think the answers to those questions are
> nearly as clear as your appeal suggests.  The attribute's
> inclusion doesn't mandate that the primes be validated but it
> makes it possible that they are, and I think that if there's a
> semantic change to the protocol the IESG has a point.

IMO, only if there is something in the PKCS#8 specs that says to
validate, or not validate, primes.

However, the more important point for me is that, if the IESG
has said, e.g.,  "because this alters the way that RFC 5208 and
5859 treat validation of Primes, we think it alters an IETF
specification and must be processed in the IETF", we would be
having a rather different discussion or no discussion at all (at
least I wouldn't be part of it).  I'm fairly indifferent whether
that part of the response appeared in the text of the response
or in something recorded in the evaluation record as long as it
is clear that it is the IETF's opinion and not that of one AD
and, in the light of the ISE's ability to consider IESG advice
and then not take it, I find the question of whether that type
of conclusion would, in this case, be a conflict evaluation or a
technical one to be fairly uninteresting.

The main objection, in the simplest possible terms, is to the
IESG saying "... extends an IETF protocol in a way that requires
IETF review"  without identifying the protocol and why, in
fairly specific terms, the IESG thinks it is being extended.  I
believe that exactly the things that cause you to say that
things are now as clear as the appeal suggests are the ones that
cause me to claim that the IESG owes the community more
explanation of why it made the decision it did and that future
decisions like this should not be approved without that type of
explanation being present.  There is also a question as to
whether comments in the evaluation record are sufficient for
that purpose because the community has no way to tell whether
those were just comments by one ADs or information the IESG as a
whole relied on when deciding to approve the "do not public"
request.

> After
> all, it's not just some random chunk of data that's irrelevant
> to handling the private key.  But I really don't know what the
> intent here was so I'm just not sure, and I'm hopeful that a
> little more clarity about the context and intended use might
> put some of those questions to rest.

Agreed completely on the substance and what should be in the
document.

best,
   john