Re: Appeal of IESG Conflict Review process and decision on draft-mavrogiannopoulos-pkcs8-validated-parameters-02

On 7/7/18 1:11 PM, John C Klensin wrote:
> As to the arc owner giving others permission to use the OID
> --assuming that is different from just making a description
> available -- I see nothing in the I-D that does that unless one
> construes "full conformance with the provisions of BCP 78 and
> BCP 79" as doing so.

That seems to be a gap in the document.  At any rate the
usual reasons for publishing this sort of thing are to
either establish a basis for interoperability or to reserve
a code point.  Since this OID comes from Nikos's private arc
I'm assuming that it's not the latter.  Also note that it
falls under a "gnutls" object hierarchy within Nikos's arc,
and it may be being used more broadly - dunno.

The attribute seems to me to be generally useful to the community
more broadly and it's reasonable to think the goal here was to
document it so that others can use and/or implement it. I'm sure
there are other possibilities that haven't occurred to me and
guessing someone's intent can go wrong pretty easily, anyway,
so I've written to Nikos to ask him rather than try to make
inferences about it.

Melinda