Re: Last Call: <draft-sahib-451-new-protocol-elements-01.txt> (New protocol elements for HTTP Status Code 451) to Informational RFC

On 6 July 2018 at 02:11,  <valdis.kletnieks@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Jul 2018 18:24:40 -0700, Shivan Kaul Sahib said:
>
>> The intention of the draft asking for resource identification in the legal
>> demand was *not* to say that the resource has to be named - like I said,
>> the Vatican example was fine.
>
> Unfortunately, that's not my reading of this text:
>
>> "HTTP 451 SHOULD NOT be used by an operator to deny access to a resource on
>> the basis of a legal demand that is not specific to the requested resource.
>
> A legal request to block "anything from East Wombat" isn't specific to the
> requested resource. It may cover that resource, and 38,915 other resources.

It still specifies the requested resource.  Is the specificity of the
specification ambiguous?  It's not like it says "...not specific
specifically to the requested resource."

> If a news item saying "all people in <insert town you are in> should seek
> immediate shelter from an oncoming tornado", would you call that *specific to
> you* (which it isn't, as it covers every other person in the town as well), or
> merely *applicable* to you?

I'd say it's specific to me, and not to my friend the next town over.
I'm not *that* special.

> That's why I suggested "not applicable to the requested resource".

That seems to resolve an ambiguity that I hadn't seen to be present before this.

Cheers
--
  Matthew Kerwin
  https://matthew.kerwin.net.au/