Re: UUID version 6 proposal, initial feedback

Brad Peabody <bradgareth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would like to get some initial feedback, and suggested next steps, on
> the idea of making an RFC that covers a version 6 for UUIDs.  It would
> have an embedded timestamp and sorting by its raw bytes results in a
> sequence equivalent to sorting by time.  This is not addressed by
> existing UUID types.  (The closest one is version 1, but due to the byte
> encoding it does not sort correctly.)

There's clearly a need for a standard version of something like this,
since people keep reinventing similar things:

Elasticsearch sequential UUID / Flake ID
https://github.com/ppearcy/elasticflake

Firebase push IDs
https://firebase.googleblog.com/2015/02/the-2120-ways-to-ensure-unique_68.html

Cassandra TimeUUID
https://cassandra.apache.org/doc/latest/cql/functions.html

KSUID k-sortable unique identifiers
https://github.com/segmentio/ksuid

ULID universally unique lexicographically sortable identifier
https://github.com/ulid/javascript

Twitter Snowflake
https://blog.twitter.com/engineering/en_us/a/2010/announcing-snowflake.html

If you want to pursue standardization, the next step is to write an
internet-draft that will update RFC 4122.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot@xxxxxxxx>  http://dotat.at/
Bailey: Variable 4 becoming westerly 5 to 7, perhaps gale 8 later in north.