Re: what to do about missing cites and encouraging better citing

> I donʼt think this is a something where we should be looking
> for new process

great ghu save us!

> or a dramatic difference to current practice.

well, not in written practice.

> However, I do think referencing prior work, setting context to how
> present work differs from other work, attribution, and (generous)
> acknowledgment of contributions are important.

strongly agree on ensuring attribution those on whose shoulders, as
opposed to toes, we stand.

my model is also arming a new hire with no foo experience, or a grad
student who needs to come up to speed on foo for their research.  both,
but the latter especially, is used to following rabbit tunnels; but not
if they're not present.

randy, who is trying to get xml2rfc to do a cite to cacm this morning