Re: what to do about missing cites and encouraging better citing

I agree that there are many cases where improvements in
references and flagging prior work would be useful in IETF
documents.

I don’t think this is a something where we should be looking
for new process or a dramatic difference to current practice.
IETF documents tend to do the right thing in many cases,
but often focus on the standards issues (e.g., referencing
other documents for the sake of interoperability issues or
need to understand them for implementation reasons).

However, I do think referencing prior work, setting context
to how present work differs from other work, attribution,
and (generous) acknowledgment of contributions are
important. And in some of these cases we could do a
better job. Although that’s hard work and requires
those LC comments and maybe a bit of a shift
in thinking how one is supposed to write RFCs.

Some improvements in tooling might actually
be quite helpful here as well… struggling today
with some references in XML2RFC...

Jari