Re: what to do about missing cites and encouraging better citing

--On Tuesday, June 26, 2018 13:24 -0700 "Heather Flanagan (RFC
Series Editor)" <rse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I would suggest to Heather that a mention of this as the Style
>> Guide evolves would probably also be a good thing -- it isn't
>> as if adding relevant citations is difficult or costly.
>
> This is going to be a bit trickier. I'm supportive of adding
> something about author ethics, but it would be along the lines
> of "the RFC Editor will not be checking on this; you should do
> this because it's the right thing." We don't have the
> resources to do a full-on review of the literature; if the
> IETF wants that as a priority, we'll need to talk about costs
> and/or reprioritizing other RFC Editor activities.

That is consistent with what I had in mind.  On the other hand,
if a missing citation is noticed and commented on during Last
Call and the IESG decides to let the document reach you and the
Production Center without the issue being addressed, I think
that would be ample ground for an appeal of the document action.

> I think a note on the IETF norms for referencing other RFCs to
> be a good thing to include in the Tao.

Yes, although Randy's main point, at least as I understood it,
was that authors should be citing important papers in the
external literature that provide the foundations for whatever is
being done in proposed RFCs.   "Don't pretend, even by omission,
to have invented ideas that were not yours" would also be a good
comment for the Tao and/or assorted documents on appropriate
behavior.

best,
   john