Re: what to do about missing cites and encouraging better citing

--On Sunday, June 24, 2018 17:14 -0700 Randy Bush
<randy@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>> but didn't detect great enthusiasm in the community for
>> dealing with authorship ethics in general.
>
> how embarrassing and shameful

Randy,

While I agree that this is embarrassing and shameful (and could
add other words), I question one aspect of your earlier note.

At least until the IAB decides to micromanage that, an erratum
and its appropriateness is determined by the discretion of the
RFC Series Editor.  The term is arguably not precisely correct
for the way we use the things and I've seen many of them whose
subject matter or content would not be appropriate if the
classic publisher definition were used.

So I would recommend a conversation with Heather (copied) and
use of the errata mechanism, at least unless she strongly
disagrees and wants to propose another mechanism.  That would at
least get citation on the record.  While I'm not optimistic, if
author(s) are shamed sufficiently to not omit such citations in
the future, that would be A Good Thing.  I think all of us
should be encouraged to watch for obvious omissions on Last Call
and would encourage document shepherds and responsible ADs (in
the IETF Stream) and reviewers (in others) to pay attention to
the issue.

I would suggest to Heather that a mention of this as the Style
Guide evolves would probably also be a good thing -- it isn't as
if adding relevant citations is difficult or costly.

We will probably never get everything right, but we can try
harder.

best,
   john