Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-teas-yang-te-topo-15.txt> (YANG Data Model for Traffic Engineering (TE) Topologies) to Proposed Standard

Hi Tom,

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 5:26 AM, tom p. <daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Further thoughts on -16 (as my previous comments included below are).

What is the status of Appendix B?  I find this a thorny question.
Appendices are usually regarded as not Normative, with a statement
called for when it is otherwise.  This is a YANG module which non-NMDA
servers will implement so that says it is Normative, to me.  On the
other hand, the world is going NMDA - I do not know how fast - so this
is more like Historic; or non-Normative?

I do not know the answer but do know we can expect to see this several
times, so I am thinking that some thought and guidance from an Ops AD
would be valuable.

[Xufeng]: The current format is the result of long, back-and-forth discussions among NETMOD and RGTWG working groups, and related ADs. https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/netmod/rqrXUqs8YMIfcrKZnSIoH4gA-8M
For now, we use this convention, until a new one is agreed on.

IANA Considerations should have a
      reference:    RFC XXXX
for each module registered

[Xufeng]: Fixed in revision -17.

Additionally, my comments about the YANG module in the body of the
document apply to Appendix B and C namely
- [RFC ... looks wrong in a YANG module
- import without reference

Does the YANG module in Appendix C need a Copyright statement?

[Xufeng]: For the example in Appendix C, we currently follow the format from  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netmod-rfc6087bis-20, which does not use Copyright statement.

Should the YANG module in Appendix C be registered?  It took a while for
the IETF to see the need to define formally such things as
example..com
so I am thinking it probably should be lest we get many different
varieties in the wild.

And I would like a Note to the RFC Editor asking them to update the
dates with the date of publication especially since there are five such
dates rather than the usual two.

Tom Petch