Re: IPv6-only IETF web server for publishing an Internet Draft?

Le 14/05/2018 à 12:47, John C Klensin a écrit :

--On Monday, May 14, 2018 11:19 +0200 Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

John,

Thank you for the reply.

I understand the need of universal reachability, separation of experiments, and avoid of appeals.

Allow me to wonder though whether the non-IETF XML format went through such experimenting before being enforced at IETF scale.

While I'm not sure what the two have to do with each other or exactly
what you are referring to, if you are referring to what is known as
the xml2rfc format,

(1) It is not "being enforced" (in either version).   You are free to
prepare and submit I-Ds, or even final pre-publication RFC drafts in
plain ASCII text format without getting anywhere near XML.

Ah yes. I just tried moments ago and the GUI submission system accepts ok if I only submit a txt file - xml is not mandatory.

There is a new API to do draft submission programatically, rather than through a GUI - it is a great idea.

The page seems to be saying it prefers xml but not sure.
I wonder whether it works on IPv6.
https://datatracker.ietf.org/api/submit

(2) And, yes, there has been extensive experimentation and discussion. Some of us are fairly unhappy with the new version and
its documentation, but that doesn't change the history of discussion,
documentation, and, apparently, rough consensus.

I agree with the XML direction even though it can be painful at times the result is rewarding.

Alex