Re: Enabling DMARC workaround code for all IETF/IRTF mailing lists

Just a couple of notes:

On Fri 11/May/2018 14:00:15 +0200 Alexey Melnikov wrote:

> Below are some technical details on how the email address rewriting workaround is going to work:
>
> Emails from domains that don't have a p=reject DMARC setting are not going to be affected in any way.
>
> For emails from p=reject domains:

Some put p=reject; pct=0; for the sole purpose of having From: rewritten.  The
principle of least surprise would suggest to apply rewriting uniformly.

> - The From header field of such emails will be rewritten to be under
> @dmarc.ietf.org domain (which will have a p=none policy). For example,
> "alexey@xxxxxxxxxxx" email address would become
> "alexey=40example.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx". The original From header field will
> be preserved in the X-Original-From header field, which can be used for
> automatic message processing by Sieve and Mail User Agents.
Besides encoding, the semantic of alexey=40example.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx will
never be clear, even to those familiar with DMARC.  My experience after
replying "all" on one of those messages was not what I expected, and I couldn't
tell if that was a bug[*].  How about just appending the original address to
Reply-To[**]: and keep the From: address as simple as dmarc@xxxxxxxx?

jm2c
Ale
--

[*] IIRC, my reply was duplicated and one of those messages had three DKIM
signatures bearing d=ietf.org; s=ietf1; rather than the usual two ones.

[**] Or a brand new field such as List-Reply-To:, when we'll standardize
rewriting  --no, I don't think it's going to go away with ARC.