Re: Planned changes to registration payments & deadlines

Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > 2. "Early Bird 700 7 weeks before"

    > Given lead times many people experience for travel approvals,
    > 7 weeks *really* seems like a lot, however normal it may be for
    > other events. In fact, for travel planning the current IETF
    > policy is very user-friendly. Could we compromise at 4 weeks?

So, we'd have 8 weeks during which you can get the early-bird,
then 2 weeks during which it would be the standard rate,
and then it's the Late Registration.

I have, btw, regularly (ab)used the registrer early and do not pay immediately.
I register, and then I start figuring out the airfare, and then I start figuring
out where I'm gonna stay, and then I cycle back to what if I go a day earlier, etc.

I haven't worked in an organization big enough to need travel approvals in 20 years.
If it takes 5 weeks to get approval to go, it seems that someone should
simply say to their manager:
       "If you can approve this by Feb 1, it's gonna be $700.
        If you can't approve it that fast, then it's gonna be $175 more.
	Or, I can register and pay now, and take a $70 risk that you
	won't approve me going."

Surely all the companies have figured out that the same has been true for airplane tickets?

]     mcr@xxxxxxxxxxxx  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [