Re: [Mtgvenue] editor's take on draft-ietf-mtgvenue-iaoc-venue-selection-process

Eliot,

I guess you missed my buried post:  https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg107499.html

My suggestion is that if we are including anything about no smoking, I would certainly hope we'd be concerned about the impact on air quality from mold.  It's not uncommon to find commercial buildings with water damaged acoustic ceiling tiles.  And, if you see water damage on the room facing side, then you certainly will have more on the ceiling facing side.  In the case of Singapore those tiles were sagging.  Molds love acoustic ceiling tiles.   And, given my reaction, they likely had Aspergillus mold growing on them.. Aspergillus produces Ochratoxin A which has many known negative health impacts.  Molds like this can cause respiratory issues even in healthy individuals.  I'm happy to point to research documenting these impacts. Interestingly, research shows that mycotoxins found in tobacco are also a factor in the health impacts of cigarette smoking.

And, while one might think I was the only one impacted in Singapore, 25%  of the population has the predisposition to be made ill.  Beyond respiratory impacts, there are many other non-specific symptoms that could easily be attributed to other causes.  For example, people might have attributed symptoms to other causes such as the flu and the exposure will increase the risk of getting the flu and other respiratory illnesses.  Anyone that finds they are getting sicker more frequently since Singapore might consider this as a factor.  The impact is additive over time and each subsequent exposure results in a more intense reaction sooner.   Here's an article indicating that up to 50% of illnesses are due to mold exposure:   https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3654247/

Regards,
Mary.