Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-ippm-2330-ipv6-04.txt> (IPv6, IPv4 and Coexistence Updates for IPPM's Active Metric Framework) to Informational RFC

Al,

On 04/20/2018 12:42 AM, MORTON, ALFRED C (AL) wrote:
[...]
> Since PDM / RFC8250 exclusively defines measurement based on DOH,
> it is a bit out of place with " ...modification, addition or deletion of
> IPv6 extension headers..." (inspection was a possibility, but not
> discussed in RFC8250)
>
> We are proposing to delete PDM/8250 from the sentence:
>
>    The topic of IPv6 Extension Headers brings current controversies into
>    focus as noted by [RFC6564] and [RFC7045].  However, measurement use
>    cases in the context of the IPPM framework like in-situ OAM [ref] in
>    enterprise environments can benefit from
>    inspection, modification, addition or deletion of IPv6 extension
>    headers in hosts along the measurement path.

Given the discussion in ITF LC/6man regarding EH insertion an
modification, I think the aforementioned text shouldn't be there, or, at
the very least, it should be made crystal-clear that EH insertion or
modification violates current specs (RFC8200).

Unfortunately, I haven't gone through this whole I-D, yet. BUt, when it
comes to using EHs for anything, folks should be made aware about the
issues related to RFC7872.

Thanks!

Cheers,
--