RE: Last Call: <draft-ietf-ippm-2330-ipv6-04.txt> (IPv6, IPv4 and Coexistence Updates for IPPM's Active Metric Framework) to Informational RFC

Thanks for your review, C.M.

please see below [acm],

Al

From: C. M. Heard [mailto:heard@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, April 14, 2018 2:54 PM
To: IETF <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: IPPM <ippm@xxxxxxxx>; 6man <ipv6@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-ippm-2330-ipv6-04.txt> (IPv6, IPv4 and Coexistence Updates for IPPM's Active Metric Framework) to Informational RFC

Greetings,

I have some last call comments on this document. Most (but not all) focus on aspects that do not respect RFC 8200 and RFC 8201.

The Abstract says:

   [...] Exemplary use cases include,
   but are not limited to IPv4-IPv6 translation, NAT, protocol
   encapsulation, IPv6 header compression, or use of IPv6 over Low-Power
   Wireless Area Networks (6LoWPAN).

These last two use cases, however, are explicitly excluded in Section 4:

   [...] Because of these reasons we
   consider ROHC and 6LowPAN packets to be out of the scope of this
   document.

On that basis, it seems that the last two use cases in the Abstract should be removed. Other places in the draft that IPv6 header compression also need to be looked at.

[acm]

Clarified as follows:

IPv6 header compression and use of IPv6 over

Low-Power Wireless Area Networks (6LoWPAN) are

considered and excluded from the standard-formed packet evaluation.

and later:

Because of these reasons we consider ROHC and

6LowPAN packets to be out of the scope for the

standard-formed packet evaluation.

Section 3, page 3, next to last paragraph, has a reference "Diffserv [RFC2780]" -- shouldn't that be "Diffserv [RFC2474]"?

[acm]

yes, 2474 was intended, thanks.

Section 3, page 4, third paragraph, says:

   [...] For example, the packet length will
   change if IP headers are converted to the alternate version/address
   family, or if optional Extension Headers are added or removed. [...]

Adding or removing extension headers contravenes RFC 8200. Since this is just an example, I would recommend deleting the controversial second clause.

[acm]

Understand, see below.

Section 4, page 6, last paragraph, and page 7, first paragraph, say:

   The topic of IPv6 Extension Headers brings current controversies into
   focus as noted by [RFC6564] and [RFC7045].  However, measurement use
   cases in the context of the IPPM framework like in-situ OAM in
   enterprise environments or IPv6 Performance and Diagnostic Metrics
   (PDM) Destination Option measurements [RFC8250] can benefit from
   inspection, modification, addition or deletion of IPv6 extension
   headers in hosts along the measurement path.

   As a particular use case, hosts on the path may store sending and
   intermediate timestamps into dedicated extension headers to support
   measurements, monitoring, auditing, or reproducibility in critical
   environments.  [RFC8250] endorses the use and manipulation of IPv6
   extension headers for measurement purposes, consistent with other
   approved IETF specifications

[acm]
This is the end-of-message I received, but I imagine you intended to
point-out that 8200 and 8250 appear to be in conflict over
addition/deletion of extension headers.

From 8200, section 4:

   Extension headers (except for the Hop-by-Hop Options header) are not

   processed, inserted, or deleted by any node along a packet's delivery

   path, until the packet reaches the node (or each of the set of nodes,

   in the case of multicast) identified in the Destination Address field

   of the IPv6 header.

I wonder why RFC 2119 requirement terms were not used to
express this idea? We certainly have agreements about
requirements language for Standards Track memos in IETF.

RFC8250 does not involve Extension header insertion/deletion
along the path, but other work-in-progress (in-situ OAM) would.

In any case, a measurement framework should be prepared to
handle some unexpected/discouraged behaviors encountered on the path.