Re: meeting in other places (some flattery for london)

> On Mar 29, 2018, at 5:20 PM, Toerless Eckert <tte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> +1 on on what Stewart said. I would also venture to say that
> i found the London location extremely well fitting the
> requirements:
>
> My flight from California (United) was only $700. Of which seemingly
> almost $500 where airport/immigration etc. taxes/fees. I don't
> remember from last time, but maybe London has amongst the highest
> rate of airline competition, making it cheaper reachable than other
> cities ? If thats not just a one-off data point, that
> certainly brings up London in my ranking.
>
> My Hotel was just across the street for under 90 GBP, and i think
> there was a good selection of hotels in the vicinity.
>
> Travel to/from the airport is very easy/fast with heathrow express,
> and there are even cheaper public transport options.
>
> The hotel setup for the meeting rooms and especially public areas (cafe,
> bar) was very supportive of collaboration and hallway talks.
>
> The neighborhood of Paddington was interrestingly renewed/upgraded,
> with a lot of restaurant choices in walking distance (e.g.: along
> the canal).
>
> Edgware road was full of small convenience stores open late for
> utilities like bottled water etc.
>
> Se rest of the experience like the hotel being a maze where but quaint
> quirks of the event to me.
>
> Overall, my preoccupation was always London being very expensive,
> which is certainly true overall, but for he choosen location it
> seems to well controllable. Plus the potential of good
> airfares ?!.

I’d like to +1 most of this.  once again many thanks to the secretariat
for the many signs and colored arrows to make finding rooms easier.  (it
also helps that i remembered some of it from 4 years ago).  I ended up in
a hotel room that was lacking outlets of all things, but with that as my
main gripe, everything else was great.

- Jared