Re: consolidation

​Since we are about to meet in London participants from the larger Internet behemoths might like to consider the fact that much of the wealth of London was created by the East India company, a corporation which did not merely rival nation states in its power, it eclipsed all but a handful of the nation states of its day. The nabobs of the East India company were wealthier than the crown.

It took four years for the company to go from being the dominant political power in the country to bankrupt.

Berkeley Square, where Robert Clive died (believed to be by suicide) is a shortish walk from the hotel. You can also find the house of his contemporary John Byng, the Admiral who was shot 'to encourage the others'.

There is a lot of hubris in our industry and there is also a lot of hubris in the current political environment. Folk on both sides have a habit of assuring themselves that things must remain as they are since they find it unthinkable that they could be different.

The fact that seven of the ten largest companies in the world by market cap are IT companies does not make us invulnerable. As far as many are concerned, it makes us a target.