Re: Proposed Photography Policy

Thank you Ted for posting a link to the Ada Initiative blog (https://adainitiative.org/2013/07/04/another-way-to-attract-women-to-conferences-photography-policies/). I urge participants in this discussion to read it (the first few paragraphs at least), in order to understand the problem better and empathize with the people being intimidated.

With that in mind, I think the right of people to take photos freely during the meeting should be valued lower than the right of people to attend, free of any hint of intimidation.

And so I would propose to only allow photography of official functions (basically people participating in panels, chairing meetings or presenting at meetings), as well as photography by official IETF photographers and approved press photographers. People whose photo was taken by professional photographs should be allowed to request that their photo be deleted after the fact, and such requests should be respected.

The idea that people who are intimidated by photography will put a label up saying "I am intimidated" seems unreasonable, to say the least.

Thanks,
    Yaron