Re: Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-tls-iana-registry-updates-04

> On Feb 20, 2018, at 05:44, Dan Romascanu <dromasca@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Reviewer: Dan Romascanu
> Review result: Has Issues
>
> I am the assigned OPS-DIR reviewer for this draft. The OPS DIrectorate reviews
> a great part of the IETF documents being processed by the IESG for the OPS ADs.
> Please treat with these comments as with all other IETF LC comments. Please
> wait for direction from your document shepherd or AD before posting a new
> version of the draft.
>
> This document which updates several TLS and DTLS RFCs describes a number of
> changes to TLS IANA registries that range from adding notes to the registry all
> the way to changing the registration policy. This is not a protocol or a
> protocol update document, thus a full OPS-DIR review conforming to RFC 5706 is
> not needed. From an operational point of view this document is important, as
> operators may need to refer to IANA registries in their daily work of ensuring
> functionality and maintaining networks where TLS and DTLS are used.
>
> The document is Ready from an OPS-DIR perspective, with a few minor issues. The
> issues listed below are useful for all categories of users of this document:
> implementers, operators, end users. None is them is major, but it would be good
> to be addressed before the document approval.
>
> 1. The document adds a Recommended column to many of the TLS registries. The
> rationale and meaning of a parameter being or not being Recommended are
> detailed in Section 6. It would be useful from an operator perspective to add
> to the registries where the Recommended column is added a text similar to the
> one in Section 6, that explains the rationale and the meaning. Something on the
> lines of:
>
> * 'If a parameter is marked as Recommended, implementations
>   should support it. Adding a recommended parameter
>   to a registry or updating a parameter to recommended status
>   requires standards action. Not all parameters defined in standards
>   track documents need to be marked as recommended.
>
>   If an item is not marked as Recommended it does not necessarily mean
>   that it is flawed, rather, it indicates that either the item has not
>   been through the IETF consensus process, has limited applicability,
>   or is intended only for specific use cases.’

I’m sure that adding this note wouldn't hurt, but we’re updating all of the registries that are getting a Recommended column to point to this document.

So I could could go either way here - what do other folks think?

> 2. Also Section 6. All sections that add Recommended columns need to also
> modify the References column in order to add a reference to this document.

So, I think we’ve done that (double checking):

- s8 adds a recommended column and updates references
- s9 adds a recommended column and updates references
- s10 adds a recommended column and updates references
- s13 adds a recommended column and updates references
- s15 adds a recommended column and updates references

> 3. Section 14. IANA shall update the reference for this registry to also refer
> this document.

s4 also updates the references to this document so at first I was confused, but I think you’re looking for:

OLD:

  120   no_application_protocol  Y  [RFC7301]

NEW:

  120   no_application_protocol  Y  [RFC7301][this-RFC]

PR submitted:
https://github.com/tlswg/draft-ietf-tls-iana-registry-updates/pull/62

> 4. Section 18. s/ Criteria that SHOULD be applied by the Designated Experts
> includes determining whether the proposed registration duplicates existing
> functionality/Criteria that SHOULD be applied by the Designated Experts
> includes determining whether the proposed registration does not duplicate
> existing functionality/

I stole this wording from another RFC so I’m leaning towards leaving it as is.

spt