Re: Opsdir telechat review of draft-ietf-6lo-rfc6775-update-11

On Feb 21, 2018, at 10:07, Jürgen Schönwälder <j.schoenwaelder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> - What is the 'legacy 6LoWPAN ND specification'? I found out later

legacy | ˈlɛɡəsi |
  noun (plural legacies)
    an amount of money or property left to someone in a will.
    • a thing handed down by a predecessor: the legacy of centuries of neglect.
  adjective Computing
    denoting or relating to software or hardware that has been superseded but is difficult to replace because of its wide use.

The marketing term “legacy” is used a lot by people who want to sell you their newest snake oil.

If you find “legacy” in a technical document outside the above narrow technical sense, this generally raises warning flags in people that have been around for a while.

Since the updated 6LoWPAN-ND is not snake oil, we should avoid sending this signal of non-competence.

(It appears here this is just about “previous version of the present specification”.)

Grüße, Carsten