Re: Grammatical corrections to the headers and boilerplate text

One more data point:

On 14 February 2018 at 06:46, John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> because the presence or absence of negation changes nothing in
> American English about subject-verb-predicate matching of
> number, and the proposed new text is correct.

Also true in Australian English, in so far as that's a thing.  I was
taught "...not all <plural> are <plural>..." or "...not every
<singular> is a <singular>...".

> However, the second theory suggests a different option which, if
> someone wants to advocate (and presumably do the work), I would
> personally support if the RFC Editor had no objections.  That
> would be to allow instructions to the RFC Editor and,
> presumably, a directive to XML2RFC, to specify the author's
> preferred English style.

-1.  I don't mind if someone "corrects" colourise nearly as much as I
would mind it being different in two different documents (and so for
grammar, if it can be shown that US and British grammar actually do
differ.)  Having a single benchmark for spelling, grammar, and
universal readability makes the whole series more accessible.  I do
question whether that benchmark should be "standard American" (using
CMoS as a proxy) or "whatever is most understandable for our
audience";  but the latter lacks a formal spec, and we do like our
formal specs.

Cheers
--
  Matthew Kerwin