Re: [Ice] Last Call: <draft-ietf-ice-trickle-16.txt> (Trickle ICE: Incremental Provisioning of Candidates for the Interactive Connectivity Establishment (ICE) Protocol) to Proposed Standard

On 2/9/18 2:45 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 08, 2018 at 02:06:31PM -0800,
>  The IESG <iesg-secretary@xxxxxxxx> wrote
>  a message of 38 lines which said:
>
>> The IESG has received a request from the Interactive Connectivity
>> Establishment WG (ice) to consider the following document: - 'Trickle ICE:
>> Incremental Provisioning of Candidates for the
>>    Interactive Connectivity Establishment (ICE) Protocol'
>>   <draft-ietf-ice-trickle-16.txt> as Proposed Standard
>
> It may seem a detail, but we already have something named Trickle, in
> RFC 6206. Is this name collision a good idea?

It's not a great thing (I for one didn't notice RFC 6206 until now).
However, this I-D defines "Trickle ICE" and its domain of operation and
implementation is quite different (NAT traversal vs. local multicast).
Thus I don't see significant harm, but you'd expect me to say that...

Peter

P.S. There are two kinds of "Jabber" too (the Ethernet error condition
and the instant messaging protocol).