From: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Friday 2 February 2018 at 18:04
To: Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "tsv-art@xxxxxxxx" <tsv-art@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: "draft-ietf-ice-rfc5245bis.all@xxxxxxxx" <draft-ietf-ice-rfc5245bis.all@xxxxxxxx>, IETF Discussion <ietf@xxxxxxxx>, "ice@xxxxxxxx" <ice@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Ice] Tsvart last call review of draft-ietf-ice-rfc5245bis-16

Hi,

On Christer's request I have written a text proposal for a security consideration addition regarding the ICMP message. From my perspective, WG input is needed into this issue!

New paragraph:

   Spoofed ICMP Hard Errors (Type 3, codes 2-4) can also be used to
   create false invalid results. If an ICE agent implements a response
   to these ICMP errors, and the attacker is capable of generating an
   ICMP message that is delivered to the agent sending the connectivity
   check. The validation of the ICMP error message by the agent is its
   only defence. For Type 3 code=4 the outer IP header provides no
   validation, unless the connectivity check was sent with DF=0.
   For code 2 or 3, which are originated by the host, the
   address is expected to be any of the remote agents host, reflexive, or relay
   candidates IP addresses. The ICMP message include the IP header and UDP
   header of the message triggering the error. These fields also needs to
   be validated. The IP destination and UDP destination port needs to match
   either the targeted candidate address and port, or the candidates base
   address. The source IP address and port can be any candidate for the same
   base address of the agent sending the connectivity check. Thus any attacker
   having access to the exchange of the candidates will have the necessary
   information. Thus the validation is a weak defence, and the sending of
   spoofed ICMP attacks is possible also for off-path attackers from a node
   in a network without source address validation.

Intended to be added in Section 19.1  between two existing paragraphs as indicated below.

.. exchange signaling is secured, the attacker will not have the
   password and its response will be discarded.

[The new paragraph]

Forcing the fake valid result works in a similar way.  The agent ...

I hope this helps making it clear how relatively easy this attack can be performed, and why I think it is actually safer to ignore any ICMP errors for the connectivity checks.