Re: Reflections on the recent IGF

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 10:11 AM, S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Alissa,

I sent a question about a blog post on 9 January [1].  There wasn't any reply to that question.  Is it appropriate to send unsolicited questions or comments about IETF blog articles?

Sorry, I missed the question, which I believe to be this:

There are better analogies for "closing the road-communication". e.g. the telephone system.  Isn't the matter about state sovereignty?

relating to this text:

As people build their lives and livelihoods on the Internet, the
ability to withdraw a country or specific territories from it begins to parallel the impact of closing the roads–communication, commerce, and relief are all disrupted.

The point we were making was not about state sovereignty, but about the impact of losing access to the Internet.  Any successful effort to cut a territory off from the Internet would have the same impact, even if taken by a private party or accomplished by unsanctioned force.

regards,

Ted