Re: www.ietf.org

Russ Housley <housley@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You might want to bookmark this page: https://www.ietf.org/links/

   I tried it: alas, the page is not usable from my ancient Mac Mini.

   I ran validator.w3.org, and got 27 errors and warnings before the
validator gave up.

   Perhaps I am being too picky...

   But IMHO, IETF needs to appeal to third-world people who are running
computers even more ancient than mine.

   And I still try to make sure anything I put on IETF pages passes
validator.w3.org. (I realize olmost no professional web-designers agree
this is a valid goal; but ISTM to be the easiest way to make sure the
page will display reasonably on a variety of platforms.)

   And your page _doesn't_ display reasonably on my platform. It comes
up a a window-within-a-window with no left-right scroll-bar: so there's
no way to see the right-hand portion of the main window.

   I don't know how my difficulties compare to others'...

   I won't ask to revert to a previous version...

   but I will be looking carefully at the WaybackMachine for hints as to
where I might find things.

   It _would_ be nice if old links continued to work, or link to
workalike replacements. IMHO, a strong majority of pages maintained
by volunteers are sufficiently useful that they should be preserved.

   (A "Useful Links" page off a new website is _almost_never_ a good
tool for this purpose!)

--
John Leslie <john@xxxxxxx>