Re: Opsdir last call review of draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt-13

On 11/29/17 11:21, Kathleen Moriarty wrote:
>> To that end, it might be useful to specifically point out where vendors have a
>> role to fill in some of these areas to allow for transit encryption while
>> providing the necessary hooks for operators to manage and troubleshoot their
>> network.  Specifically, in many of the troubleshooting scenarios, operators
>> won't be able to provide truly useful tools to their end users unless the
>> vendors provide the right level of visibility.
>
> Do you have suggested text that we could add to address this gap from
> your experience?

Maybe something along the lines of the following in Section 2.1.2 (or
maybe in a section of its own):

"Vendors must be aware that in order for operators to better
troubleshoot and manage networks with increasing amounts of encrypted
traffic, built-in diagnostics and serviceability must be enhanced to
provide detailed logging and debugging capabilities that, when possible,
can reveal cleartext network parameters.  In addition to traditional
logging and debugging methods, packet tracing and inspection along the
service path will provide operators the necessary visibility to continue
to diagnose problems reported both internally and by their customers."

Joe